Friday, May 30, 2008
Wednesday, May 28, 2008
Re-Register ASP.Net with IIS
Various error conditions during installation or running the VersionOne application may be caused by issues with the
ASP.Net setup within IIS. These issues can often be solved by re-registering ASP.Net with IIS to ensure the correct files
are recognized by the web server. Use the Procedure below to run the IIS Registration tool.
ASP.NET can be re-registered with IIS. The specific method depends on the operating system being used. For more
information on ASP.Net and the IIS Registration tool, see the related links below.
To fix this on Windows 2000 or Windows XP, run this command from the Start>Run box or a command prompt
(assuming the system directory is C:\Windows):
.Net 1.1: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet_regiis.exe -i
.Net 2.0: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regiis.exe -i
On Windows 2003, ASP.NET must be both installed and enabled. To install ASP.NET:
1. On the taskbar, click the Start button, point to Control Panel, and then click Add or Remove Programs.
2. In the Add or Remove Programs dialog box, click Add/Remove Windows Components.
3. In the Components box in the Windows Components Wizard, click the Web Application Server check box,
and then click Next.
4. When the Windows Components Wizard has finished configuring Windows Server 2003, click Finish.
To enable ASP.NET, run this command from the Start>Run box or a command prompt (assuming the system
directory is C:\Windows):
.Net 1.1: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet_regiis.exe -i -enable
.Net 2.0: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regiis.exe -i -enable
last modified: 1/18/2007 11:58 AM
Monday, May 26, 2008
I am going to start using some MS Live tools to see if they are useful.
- Live Writer - for posting to this Blog
- SkyDrive - to keep a remote backup copy of critical data for business and home information
- Live Mail - to download all non-ITPH email to PC for ease of access
We shall see how good they prove to be. . . . . .
Friday, May 23, 2008
Photosynth is an amazing new technology from Microsoft Live Labs that will change forever the way you think about digital photos.
Our software takes a large collection of photos of a place or an object, analyzes them for similarities, and displays them in a reconstructed three-dimensional space.
With Photosynth you can:
- Walk or fly through a scene to see photos from any angle.
- Seamlessly zoom in or out of a photo whether it's megapixels or gigapixels in size.
- See where pictures were taken in relation to one another.
- Find similar photos to the one you're currently viewing.
- Send a collection - or a particular view of one - to a friend.
So far I have not found anything on CutePDF.
Vulnerability Report: CutePDF Writer 2.x
This vulnerability report for CutePDF Writer 2.x contains a complete overview of all Secunia advisories affecting it. You can use this vulnerability report to ensure that you are aware of all vulnerabilities, both patched and unpatched, affecting this product allowing you to take the necessary precautions.
Foxit Reader has vulnerabilities as well.
* Foxit Reader version 2.2
* Foxit Reader version 2.3 build 2825
* Foxit Reader version 2.3 build 2912
I would suggest all workstations with Foxit Reader be at the latest version of 2.3 build 2923.
What's new in Version 2.3?
The following is a list of exciting improvements introduced in Foxit Reader 2.3.
- Bookmark Design: Makes it possible to have your own bookmarks. Users can create, edit, or delete bookmarks in a PDF file if the security settings allow.
- Multi-tab Browsing: Enables users to open multiple files in a single instance.You can choose to view PDFs in a multi-tab window or multiple instances by setting documents layout from the Preferences dialog.
- Multimedia Player Support: Supports many media formats including audio and video. Read multimedia ebooks with Foxit Reader 2.3.
- Callout and Text box Tool: Creates comments in a callout text box or a box. You can also define their appearance as other commenting tools.
- Commenting Text Tool: Enables users to add most types of text edits by right-clicking on the selected text, including highlight, strikeout, underline, squiggly and replacement. You can also use the Commenting Text Tool to add bookmarks for PDF files.
- Rulers and Guides: Provides horizontal and vertical ruler guides to help users align and position objects on the page. Right-clicking on the ruler enables you to change the unit of measurement.
- Magnifier: Magnifies areas of the PDF files easily as you work on Foxit Reader.
- Automatic Scrolling: Allows users to view documents without using mouse actions or keystrokes.
- OCG Support: Enables the user to view related content stored in a variable number of separate layers.
- FDF Related: Opens FDF files directly with Foxit Reader without any import implementations.
- Optimized Rendering:Supports progressive rendering and significantly reduces the response time from the user interface events.
- Improved Link Tools:Allows users to add actions to links, such as go to a page view, open or execute a file, open a web link, etc.
- Improved Snapshot:Enables users to print the selected area in Foxit Reader by simply selecting the Print option from the context menu.
- Search Enhancement:Allows users to float, move and resize the Full Foxit Search box.
- Better Annotation control:Groups drawing markups to help users operate objects collectively, and allows users to move annotations through pages.
- Font Information:Lists the fonts and the font types used in the original document in the Properties dialog.
- Updated Command Line:Allows users to open password protected PDF documents with a simple command prompt.
- Streamlined UI:A completely redesigned UI with a new look and feel makes Foxit Reader more intuitive than ever before.
- Many bug fixes.
Since 7 Zip has almost become a standard piece of software I thought it prudent to look up any issues with it.
I found this article below:
The solution is to upgrade to v4.57 which is the latest version (2007-12-06):
7-ZIP versions prior to 4.57
The current beta version of 7 zip is 4.58 dated 2008-05-05
4.58 beta 2008-05-05
- Some speed optimizations.
- 7-Zip now can unpack .lzma archives.
- Unicode (UTF-8) support for filenames in .ZIP archives. Now there are 3 modes:
1) Default mode: 7-Zip uses UTF-8, if the local code page doesn't contain required symbols.
2) -mcu switch: 7-Zip uses UTF-8, if there are non-ASCII symbols.
3) -mcl switch: 7-Zip uses local code page.
- Now it's possible to store file creation time in 7z and ZIP archives (-mtc switch).
- 7-Zip now can unpack multivolume RAR archives created with
"old style volume names" scheme and names *.001, *.002, ...
- Now it's possible to use -mSW- and -mSW+ switches instead of -mSW=off and -mSW=on
- Some bugs were fixed.
- New localizations: Punjabi (Indian), Pashto.
It is important that we make sure all workstations are on the latest non-beta version, 4.57.