I found these fixes on the web.
- Open an explorer window (open My Computer for example)
- Folder Options
- Uncheck Hide protected operating system files
- Now do a search for desktop.htt…it should be on your C: normally
- Delete any desktop.htt files you find (there could be more than one depending on how many user profiles are on the machine) They should be located in Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer
- Close all windows you have open
- Now reboot your PC..Windows will recreate desktop.htt for you and it should work.
- Change back the file settings to Hide protected operating system files
- Go to Run, type regedit and hit enter
- Go here HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Desktop\SafeMode\Components
- Select the value DeskHtmlVersion
- Select the Decimal radial button
- Change the value of 272 to 0
- Press F5 while on the desktop
- Most of the time it might take a few seconds for your background to appear and other times…you might need to restart your computer.